“A Heaven of peace and tranquility at the southernmost tip of Africa”
Agulhas Country Lodge is a paradise found at the southernmost tip of Africa in L’Agulhas. The elevated position of the lodge offers guests remarkable sea views from nearly every vantage point. Agulhas Country Lodge has 8 en-suite rooms all with sea-view balconies. The bar has beautiful enclosed balcony with stunning views of the sea. The lodge boasts a cigar lounge which has proved popular with guests for after dinner cognac and cigars.
We are a small family run business, are very “hands-on”:
And love to spend time with our guests, chatting in the maritime/aviation themed bar:
Or in the cigar lounge, over a glass of good local wine.
Our dinners are legendary.
We are 4-star rated and offer 8 en suite rooms, a bar:
And all the other general amenities you would expect and would love to be of service.
We offer lunches by prior arrangement.
- All rooms at Agulhas Country Lodge have showers; some have baths and showers
- The two honeymoon rooms (room 4 and 8) have Jacuzzi baths and double showers.
- A tea/coffee station is provided.
- TV’s with a DSTV selection, heaters and most rooms have air-conditioning.
- An overnight laundry service is available if laundry is submitted before 17h00.
- The atmosphere in our candlelit restaurant is relaxed and romantic with wood fires:
- Creating a cozy ambience on chilly and windy nights.
- Fully stocked bar with a lovely enclosed balcony with stunning sea views.
- The cigar lounge is very popular for after dinner cognac and cigars:
- We stocked excellent cognacs and Cuban cigars.
- 4 course set menu for dinner and rely on local:
- And seasonal produce and weather conditions when determining the menu.
- The menu is representative of local cuisine:
- And is well matched with a wine list which features wines from the Robertson area and the general Overberg region with wines from Elim, Napier and Bredasdorp.
- The restaurant also serves traditional South African cuisine with a modern twist.
- Tables are decked out in white linen, Carol Boyes hand crafted cutlery:
- Cut glass crystal stemware and plenty of candles which provide soft light:
- with windows overlooking the bay.
- Visit the southernmost tip of Africa where the Atlantic and Indian oceans meet.
- The second oldest working light house in South Africa.
- Take a walk on the coast passing the historic Soldiers’ Pool to the light house.
- Ghost Corner hiking trail along the coast and up to the look-out on top of the hill:
- behind the Lodge (± 1½ hours). Circular route starting at the Lodge.
- Bird watching, whale watching (July to early December).
- Safe swimming in Struisbaai:
- at the longest uninterrupted white beach in Southern Africa.
- Kite surfing and other water sports.
- Canoes, surfboards and cycles available to rent:
- in Struisbaai from Way Down Africa Adventures.
- Boat trips for pleasure or fishing; also deep sea fishing:
- book at the beautiful Struisbaai harbour.
- Tarred runway (1100 metres) at Andrew’s Field only 10km from Struisbaai.
- Aircraft welcome to fly in, Agulhas Country Lodge can arrange transport.
- For permission to land contact Johan Roodt on 0824839496 or Peet at on 0798767004.
- Guided or self-drive visits to De Hoop (1 hour) or De Mond (25 minutes).
- Nuwejaarsriver Wetland Special Management Area – very exciting new reserve.
- Excellent bird watching with hides. (30 minutes away, close to Elim)
- Elim Wine Route – the southernmost wine route in Africa is open:
- And well worth a visit, there are 6 wine estates:
- Some with restaurants within 30 minutes drive.
- Farm visits available to wheat, merino & cattle farms, some offering country lunches.
- The picturesque village of Arniston is only 35 minutes drive away:
- And is well known for its big sea cave and 200 year old fishermen’s village, Kassiesbaai.
- The Arniston Hotel serves delicious lunches.
- In Bredasdorp visit the Kapula candle factory, Julians Ceramics gallery:
- And the unique shipwreck museum.
- The Bredasdorp Golf Course is a well maintained 9-hole course:
- And is the southernmost golf course in Africa (golf clubs available).
- Struisbaai Graca Yellowtail Festival and the Struisbaai Yellowtail Derby.
- Foot of Africa Marathon and Festival,
- Trans-Agulhas Rubber Duck Competition, Die Skip Fees (New Years) and Whales along the coast.