“A Heaven of peace and tranquility at the southernmost tip of Africa”
Agulhas Country Lodge is a paradise found at the southernmost tip of Africa in L’Agulhas. The elevated position of the lodge offers guests remarkable sea views from nearly every vantage point. Agulhas Country Lodge has 8 en-suite rooms all with sea-view balconies. The bar has beautiful enclosed balcony with stunning views of the sea. The lodge boasts a cigar lounge which has proved popular with guests for after dinner cognac and cigars.
Southernmost point of Africa
We are a small family run business, are very “hands-on” and love to spend time with our guests, chatting in the maritime/aviation themed bar or in the cigar lounge, over a glass of good local wine. Our dinners are legendary. We are 4-star rated and offer 8 en suite rooms, a bar and all the other general amenities you would expect and would love to be of service. We offer lunches by prior arrangement.
- All rooms at Agulhas Country Lodge have showers; some have baths and showers and the two honeymoon rooms (room 4 and 8) have Jacuzzi baths and double showers.
- A tea/coffee station is provided.
- TV’s with a DSTV selection, heaters and most rooms have air-conditioning.
- An overnight laundry service is available if laundry is submitted before 17h00 in the afternoon.
- The atmosphere in our candlelit restaurant is relaxed and romantic with wood fires creating a cozy ambience on chilly and windy nights.
- Fully stocked bar with a lovely enclosed balcony with stunning sea views. The cigar lounge is very popular for after dinner cognac and cigars (we stocked excellent cognacs and Cuban cigars).
- Four course set menu for dinner and rely on local and seasonal produce and weather conditions when determining the menu. The menu is representative of local country cuisine and is well matched with a wine list which features wines from the Robertson area and the general Overberg region with wines from Elim, Napier and Bredasdorp. The restaurant also serves traditional South African cuisine with a modern twist. Tables are decked out in white linen, Carol Boyes hand crafted cutlery, cut glass crystal stemware and plenty of candles which provide soft light with windows overlooking the bay.
- Visit the southernmost tip of Africa where the Atlantic and Indian oceans meet.
- The second oldest working light house in South Africa.
- Take a walk on the coast passing the historic Soldiers’ Pool to the light house.
- Ghost Corner hiking trail along the coast and up to the look-out on top of the hill behind the Lodge (± 1½ hours). Circular route starting at the Lodge.
- Bird watching, whale watching (July to early December).
- Safe swimming in Struisbaai at the longest uninterrupted white beach in Southern Africa.
- Kite surfing and other water sports.
- Canoes, surfboards and cycles available to rent in Struisbaai from Way Down Africa Adventures.
- Boat trips for pleasure or fishing; also deep sea fishing, book at the beautiful Struisbaai harbour.
- Tarred runway (1100 metres) at Andrew’s Field only 10km from Struisbaai. Aircraft welcome to fly in, Agulhas Country Lodge can arrange transport. For permission to land contact Johan Roodt at Cell number: 0824839496 or Peet at Cell number: 0798767004.
- Nature Reserves: Guided or self-drive visits to De Hoop (1 hour) or De Mond (25 minutes).
- Nuwejaarsriver Wetland Special Management Area – very exciting new reserve. Excellent bird watching with hides. (30 minutes away, close to Elim) www.nuwejaars.com
- Elim Wine Route – the southernmost wine route in Africa is open and well worth a visit. There are 6 wine estates, some with restaurants within 30 minutes drive. www.blackoystercatcher.co.za
- Farm visits available to wheat, merino and cattle farms, some offering country lunches. www.nachtwachtrestaurant.co.za
- The picturesque village of Arniston is only 35 minutes drive away and is well known for its big sea cave and 200 year old fishermen’s village, Kassiesbaai.
- The Arniston Hotel serves delicious lunches.
- In Bredasdorp visits the Kapula candle factory, Julians Ceramics gallery and the unique shipwreck museum.
- The Bredasdorp Golf Course is a well maintained 9-hole course and is the southernmost golf course in Africa. (golf clubs to rent at the Agulhas Country Lodge).
- Struisbaai Graca Yellowtail Festival and the Struisbaai Yellowtail Derby.
- Foot of Africa Marathon and Festival,
- Trans-Agulhas Rubber Duck Competition, Die Skip Fees (New Years) and Whales along the coast.